The infamous retire button

Have a suggestion or cool idea? Post it here!
CptAwesome
Power Booster

The infamous retire button

Post by CptAwesome » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:35 pm

Greetings fellow sliders,

Recently I heard some complains about the retire button and started wondering myself why it even exists.
Is there any possibility of removing the button or placing it on a 'safer' location so ppl won't accidentally misclick and miss out on all the fun, or have the entire lobby remake again.

Kind regards,
your awesome captain

DeltaVelocity
Site Admin

Re: The infamous retire button

Post by DeltaVelocity » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:36 pm

This got brought up again on Discord, so I'll put down my thoughts here now.

In the original ice escape games, when the game was over everyone was booted from the game. It was a bit of a hassle if you wanted to try again. You'd have to remake the lobby. But it also broke up the pace of playing; which I think can be a good thing.

If people needed to take a break they did because that was the time to exit. We would remake, and some people would give up — that was a consequence of losing — therefore losing the game felt more meaningful.

If I remove the retire button it seems like the game is never over because there is only one option: to keep playing until you win.

But I prefer to make it clear that the game is over; to break up the overarching game into distinct "games".

To provide choice rather than hide it. And I mean psychologically; I know that people can just F10 + Quit :)

That's why I'm not planning on completely removing the button.

With that said, I can see where you're coming from in terms of people misclicking or misinterpreting the button.

I'll try to come up with a good compromise.

- Delta